The rise of vegetable oil substitutes is due to very commonly used vegetable oil products in cooking in the past few years. Many health professionals speak in favor of these vegetable oils being healthy. While others consider vegetable oil substitutes as a better option. Although the numbers are divided, most health influencers and famous chefs promote vegetable oil substitutes for several health benefits.
This document is a step by step guide to all your questions!
Let us dive deeper into the culinary mysteries. Which would turn you into a culinary star by the end of this article!
WHAT ARE VEGETABLE OILS?
As the name suggests, vegetable oils or vegetable fats are triglycerides that we extract from the plants.
Vegetable oils are one of the most popular oil used for frying in many households. They can be of various forms and ingredients, all having a unique taste of its own.
They also contain essential fats, namely omega-6 and omega-3, which is very pivotal for our health as our bodies are incapable of producing it. Vegetable oils are our primary source for these essential fats.
Why are these fats necessary?
Well, these essential fats like omega-6 and omega-3 are necessary for our diets as these fats prevent illnesses like chronic internal inflammation, cancer, diabetes, and different cardiovascular diseases.
ARE VEGETABLE OILS UNHEALTHY?
We have heard a lot of debate revolving the health concerns of using vegetable oil as a significant constituent of our everyday diet.
These highly refined, clear, tasteless, processed oils were a staple part of our diet since childhood.
Earlier, many health professionals and scientists agreed that these are incredibly healthy and perfect for daily consumption.
Studies show that there were not many benefits from the daily consumption of vegetable oils except for an increase of omega-3 fat in our bodies. Vegetable oils are indeed two virtuous words that we would fall. But has no relation to healthiness whatsoever.
Different pivotal reasons for the dying reputation of these vegetable oils is their manufacturing processes. The ways are toxic, and this is why multitudes have turned their faith to vegetable oil substitutes that claim to be much more healthy.
Here is a quick sneak peek on behind the scenes of your favorite vegetable oil. You might not like it. So, brace yourself.
After picking suitable vegetable and native seeds, these seeds are refined, deodorized, and bleached with the aid of harmful chemicals, which makes it ideal for human consumption.
But how can a product be fit for consumption if it is made from toxic chemicals? Think again!
STEP BY STEP INSIGHT
Here is a step by step insight into how your favorite vegetable oils are made.
- It was extracted from native plants like soybeans, rapeseeds, safflower, cottonseed, and various other plants.
- After extraction, the unsaturated fatty acids will then be oxidized by heating it to extremely high temperatures.
- To the overall yield, it will then be processed with petroleum-based solvents such as hexane.
- The foul odor of the oil, deodorization, is done with the help of chemicals and creates trans-fat as byproducts.
- Coloring is done to improve the overall appearance.
Also, evidence shows that the improper ration of omega-3 and omega-6 in our diet can also augment the risk of autoimmunity and increase oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. Apart from this, this incorrect ratio can also cause dementia, depression, and so on.
THE 8 BEST VEGETABLE OIL SUBSTITUTES
The unnatural manufacturing process of vegetable oil makes us wonder, “Is there any vegetable oil substitute?” Well, do not worry. Here is a list of vegetable oil substitutes that you must try.
Now, it is imperative to choose the right vegetable oil substitute for your dishes.
Since vegetable oil has a neutral flavor, choosing replacements with pure taste is essential.
1. Olive Oil
It is one of the most famous vegetable oil substitutes globally. Olive oil can handle diverse ranges of delicacies. It consists of 9% polyunsaturated fats, 77% monounsaturated fats, and 14% saturated.
Apart from this, depending on its processing methods, it has a smoking point ranging from 375 to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Even though the smoke point is low, the chemical structure holds up pretty well and only loses a little portion of its nutritive value. From sauteing to deep frying to dressing your salad, this is your one-stop solution to every culinary problem.
2. Coconut Oil
Known as the world’s famous and best culinary accessory and skincare regime, this is an excellent lubricant used for cooking and consists of 85% saturated fat. It has a 450 smoking point, which makes it perfect for frying.
Coconut oil as a vegetable oil substitute has gained criticism from a few health professionals who claim otherwise. The demerits of coconut oil have not been proved yet. Coconut as a vegetable oil substitute for low calorie consists of lauric acid that helps you feel full faster that means that you eat less and still feel full.
3. Canola Oil
Canola oil has been approved to be healthy for the heart by many health professionals. This oil has a smoking point of 400 degrees, which makes it a fit consort for most types of cooking.
Compared to olive oil, canola oil is lighter with 61% MUFA, 32% PUFA, and significantly low amount of saturated fat. Due to its light texture, this oil is perfect for delicate marinades. It contains the highest omega3-s than another plant. This vegetable oil substitute is also extremely cost-effective.
4. Avocado Oil
Avocados have been all the rage these past few years.
Avocado oil as a vegetable oil substitute has a nutritional value quite comparable to that of olive oil. Although in comparison to olive oil, it has more antioxidants and vitamin E. Apart from this, it additionally has a smoke point of 400 degrees. It consists of 13% PUFA and 71% MUFA with 12% saturated fats.
Ghee is one of the most famous delicacies in India. It has been part of the Indian household for time immemorial. Ghee is purified butter free from milk fats, water, and sugar, which is likely to go rancid. It is used in many dishes and also even as a side dish to many Indian cuisines. 25% MUFA, 65% of saturated fats, and 5% PUFA are all available in ghee.
Why is it healthy then? Well, most of these saturated fats are not harmful to the body. Moreover, it is fit for consumption for people who are allergic to lactose or caseins. At 450 degrees, ghee’s smoke point is still strong in vitamins D, E, and K, along with other vital nutrients.
6. Supplemental Oils
These oils are nutritionally dense, healthy vegetable oil substitutes that are the right food ingredients. These oils generally have a low smoke point and cannot withstand the heat.
Flax oil is a supplemental oil that has an ample amount of omega-3 fats and B vitamins.
7. Soybean Oil
Think before you go for this one! Even though it is a vegetable oil substitute, the process of industrial manufacturing and farming is not natural. Owing to this, soybean oil itself is not much healthier as you think. It seems more durable due to the presence of 16% saturated fat, 23% MUFA, and 58% polyunsaturated fats. It contains high omega-6 content, which can cause dietary imbalances.
Also, it is cheap and has a high smoke point; it helps to make it easier for the industrial batch fryers, but most of its nutritional value is destroyed.
8. Palm Oil
It is a vegetable oil substitute that we extract from the orange pigment of the oil palm fruit with or without the kernel. Packed with high concentrations of carotenes are present in this oil. Palm kernel has a higher level of saturated fats. Eighty-four percent overfilled fat with 2% PUFA and 15% MUFA is all palm kernel has. It is associated with overeating, which leads to obesity.
Apart from this, the ethics of palm oil plantation and the ecological impact is a significant concern. The bustling growth of these plants has severe environmental consequences. As well, it is unethical to do the farming of these plantations. This plantation boundless to deforestation and promotes child labor.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE BEST RECIPES WITH VEGETABLE OIL SUBSTITUTES IN-HOME COOKING
Vegetable oil substitutes for baking have been all the rage for quite some time. These are much healthier options and, of course, tastier!
Here are some of the best recipes with vegetable oil substitutes:
Classic Olive Oil Cake
This cake is a Mediterranean delicacy and has a unique flavor. By a stroke of olive oil brings out the fruity essence of this staple delicacy. Vegetable oil substitute for cake is a healthier and much tastier option.
- Eggs – 3 large pieces
- Granulated sugar – ¾ cup (or 150 grams)
- Extra-virgin olive oil – ½ cup (or 112 grams)
- Whole milk – ½ cup (or 120 grams)
- Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon (or 2 grams)
- Almond extract – ¼ teaspoon (or 1 gram)
- All-purpose flour – 1½ cups (or 188 grams)
- Baking powder – 1½ teaspoons (or 7.5 grams)
- Kosher salt – ½ teaspoon (or 1.5 grams)
Step ahead and preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F. Then use a round cake pan of 8-inch. Spray some baking spray in flour. Evenly settle a parchment paper at the base of the pan.
- Take a bowl and place it under a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Thoroughly beat the eggs and sugar at top speed for 30 seconds. Then at a slow and steady pace, add the oil while beating. Do this until the ingredients mix well. Furthermore, during the beating process, add milk. Then lower the mixer speed.
- Now, take a medium bowl and whisk flour, baking powder, and salt thoroughly all together. Then add this flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat it thoroughly. After the blends are well mixed, scrape the sides of the bowl. Now, add this paste into a prepared pan.
- Insert a wooden pick at the center. It will help you keep track of the baking process. Bake the mixture for 30 to 33 minutes straight. Now, take out the baked product and let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Slowly and carefully remove from pan and let it cool on a wire rack. Lastly, brush with pure olive oil. It adds on to the flavor and gives it a high luster. You can use icing or even sprinkle it with finely diced dry fruits. You can easily keep it at room temperature when you wrap it loosely in foil or plastic wrap.
Healthy Potato Salad with Avocado Oil Mayo
A savory and healthy recipe for all the health out there! Make mayonnaise with the help of avocado oil. It is a vegetable oil substitute dish that has many health benefits with a unique flavor of the avocado oil.
- Five finely peeled and cubed potatoes
- Five boiled chopped eggs
- Three stalks of sliced celery
- ⅓ cup of relish
- One minced clove garlic
- Three Tbsp of yellow mustard
- ½ tsp salt (as per taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper (as per taste)
- One cup of avocado oil made mayonnaise
- Firstly, add peeled and chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover them with cold water. Boil them and then cook them thoroughly for about 10-15 minutes until they are tender. Drain the water and let them cool aside.
- Now hard-boil five eggs. After hard-boiling them, allow them to cool.
- In the meantime, prepare your avocado oil mayonnaise.
- Now, after cooling the eggs, peel them carefully and chop them finely.
- Take a big bowl to mix. Introduce the potatoes, which are both cooked and cooled, those boiled eggs, relish, celery. Then add mayo and avocado oil with a compelling mix to coat them thoroughly. Season them with pepper and salt as per taste. You can season them some extra seasonings. You can also add some fresh cream if you like.
- Serve and enjoy this piping hot, creamy delight. You may keep part of it for later consumption.
- It has excellent shelf-life. Store it in an airtight vessel in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Crispy Banana Chips with Coconut Oil
Banana chips are a staple delicacy in Southern India. A quick spicy snack with a tinge of coconut essence would be the best way to start your evening gossips!
- Round sliced raw bananas
- Coconut oil
- Salt and pepper (as per taste)
- Take a frying pan, pour some coconut oil, and heat the oil in medium flame.
- Now, add the sliced raw bananas and deep fry them.
- Add salt and pepper for seasoning as per taste.
- You can store them in an airtight container for prolonged consumption.
These recipes are healthy and tastier compared to your conventional vegetable oil recipes.
Aside from these, you can also make other recipes like vegan Italian dishes using the substitutes.
These substitutes are a much healthier option for good food and a good and healthy life.